There is no doubt that Parents are the real backbone of every child. But how do many of us express our love to them? Just a simple act of love is enough to bring a smile on their face because they never ask for anything in return, but “Love”. They selflessly sacrifice their own happiness for steering his/ her child towards a bright future. Parents are the two awesome people that brought us into this world and every fourth Sunday in July is one day dedicated to them. The Global Parents Day is a way for paying homage to the real superheroes of our life and to thank them for their priceless contributions in our life. We should do it each day in some way, but having just one day to dedicate ourselves to showing our gratitude has become a tradition. Let’s see how this holiday started and what we can do to make this day and everyday even more special for them..!!
History of Parents’ Day
Well the history doesn’t date back to ancient times, that’s for sure. A rather newly celebrated day, this holiday was coined Parents’ Day back in 1994 when President Bill Clinton was in office. He decided, since we have Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, why not a day celebrating the both of them together for their efforts and everything they do for us. This holiday has since been adopted by other countries around the world as who can say no to another holiday, especially when it celebrates two of the most important people in our lives.
Purpose of Parents’ Day
Initially, according to the Congressional Resolution, Parents’ Day is established for recognizing, uplifting and supporting the role of parents in the rearing of children. The establishment of Parents’ Day was the result of a bipartisan, multiracial and interfaith coalition of religious, civic and elected leaders who recognized the need to promote responsible parenting in the society and to uplift ideal parental role models, especially for the nation’s children.
This uplifting and memorable day is more essential nowadays. In a time where we are becoming more distant and disconnected with our families because of the ever increasing duties at work, social obligations, technology and other distractions we may have from our core values, this holiday is needed that much more. It’s here to remind us what’s important and that is “Family”. We should make it a point to have a day like this as much as possible, but in this day and age it is becoming more difficult. So here’s a day to really remind us what’s important in life and to make your parents feel special.
How to Celebrate Parents’ Day?
So how can we make the most memorable Parent’s Day ever? Below are few ideas to do so:
- Making a parents’ diary could be a cute way to show you love your parents. They will cherish this gift for the rest of their lives. Fill the diary with thoughts, memories and sweet quotes or random thoughts that only they will understand.
- Get super crafty and make an amazing Scrapbook to be reviewed anytime, especially on each Parent’s Day. Each year you can add more pages. Make an incredible book full of photos and memories to build upon.
- Get the paint out, the scissors and whatever else you got to make a Homemade Gift. Make them something special. A bird feeder for mom? A new customized coffee mug for dad? Whatever it is, make it by hand. No matter what it is, it will be their new favorite item.
- Plan a picnic in a park, go to your favorite destination, a charming cafe, whatever you want. Just make sure to leave the phones at home.
How to keep your Parents Happy everyday?
Intentionally or unintentionally, some people get failed of being a good son/daughter. No matter how much you care for your parents, how much u sate their wishes, how much you provide them with facilities, but there is only one thing, that we never count, it’s the time. In the era of competition, we human have stopped behaving like a human, living like a bots with one motive to earn money for living our lifestyle.
“Silence is the most powerful scream”, have you ever heard your parents screaming like this? Have you ever tried to listen to those screams? May be not, this is because you guys never asked your mom and dad more than “How are you?”
Below are few small changes that we can adopt in our daily lives to keep them happy:
- Do things that they expect you to never do.
- Help them in their daily activities.
- Try and do all you core jobs by yourself (example: keep your room clean)
- Sometimes make an effort to do things that they like.
- Watch a movie of their choice, even if you don’t like it.
- Avoid arguments with your parents.
These are small changes that are possible to do and will work fantastically.
Parenting is a tough job, it takes sacrifice and dedication. Saying thank you to your parents for their commitment and love will mean the world to them.
Happy Parents Day to all the lovely Mom’s & Dad’s all round the globe.