April fools day, sometimes called as All Fools’ Day, is one of the most light hearted day of the year and it’s the perfect time to have some fun. The point of the day is to do something unexpected that will make your someone smile or giggle hysterically! If you’re planning some April Fools office pranks, you will want to make sure you don’t do anything too embarrassing or invasive to your coworkers (or your boss) because you do have to work with these people after that day is over. We’ve pulled together a list of 10 “good clean fun” April Fools office pranks that won’t get you fired or otherwise outcast. These pranks are funny and harmless. Remember, always use good judgment when playing pranks on your coworkers (especially your boss):
- If you walk through a swinging door each day to your office switch the positions of the ‘push’ and ‘pull’ signs. Go to work a little early, stand back and watch the fun as people take a while to figure out how to get in, or out. Don’t experiment on fire escape doors though!
- Keep a cloth handy that can easily be torn. Whenever someone tries to sit in their chair, rip the cloth a bit. Have fun as they rush to the washrooms, checking for a tear in their pants.
- Make copies of the intended victim’s assignment and keep the original one somewhere safe. Spill some ink or coffee on it and leave it where they are likely to find it. Just as they are about to break down, produce the original.
- Make some photocopies of a paperclip. Then put them into the paper tray of the copier and watch your coworkers going nuts trying to find the paperclip stuck somewhere in the copier.
- If your phone system has conference calling, you can prank two coworkers at once. First, call the first coworker’s extension, then quickly call the second coworker and conference them in. Then listen to them argue over who called whom!
- Tape down the hook that presses down when the handset is in the cradle so when the phone starts ringing and they pick it up, it will keep ringing. For an extra effect, put a little piece of scotch tape over the microphone of the phone receiver.
- If you have a wireless mouse, plug the receiver into your coworkers computer (leaver their mouse plugged in). Then periodically, as they are using the computer, use your mouse to slightly move the cursor on their screen. If you have two coworkers’ computers in close proximity, just switch the cords around randomly (mouse, keyboard, monitors, etc) and watch the coworkers go crazy trying to figure out what’s going on!
- If a coworker’s office chair has a lever that adjusts its height, tie it with a piece of cord underneath the chair in its adjusting position. Once the victim sits on the chair, it will slide all the way down, but as soon as they stand up, it will rise back all the way up.
- Position a sticker (or tape a piece of paper) under the mouse on their computer. Whether it’s a laser mouse or a ball-rolling mouse, the sticker will interfere with the mouse’s ability to work. Once they finally realize why their mouse isn’t working, they will look under their mouse and see the sticker or tape. Don’t forget to write “April Fools” on it!
- Deck your coworker’s or boss’s office out in posters and fan gear from a celebrity they don’t really love. Imagine the look of surprise on their face when they walk into their fan crazed office.
A few April Fools office tips, tricks and things to remember:
- Any prank you do should be quick and in good fun.
- Never prank anyone you genuinely don’t like or who you suspect might not like you.
- Do not waste a lot of company time either setting up the prank or for the victim to clean up or recover from the prank. If the prank requires a lot of set up time, make sure to come in early or use your lunch break.
- The trick to not getting pranked: arrive early and don’t leave your desk unattended at all throughout the day!
- If you do get pranked, don’t be offended! Usually people who get pranked are chosen for their good humor and likelihood to be a good sport. Try to embrace the prank, and laugh it up!
Do you know any other good pranks? Please leave your suggestions in the comments!
Also, don’t forget to share the outcome of these pranks with us in the comments!